Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Hundred Pushups

I've decided that dieting alone isn't going to be enough for me.  While I know I'm losing weight at a good pace, that's not all I want to do.  I want to look and feel great and in order to do that I need to exercise.  So I've looked at a few programs that I think can help me get there.

First, on the Sparkpeople website there are numerous exercise suggestions, not to mention a number of groups for several other exercise programs.  That's where I heard about the Hundred Pushups.  Actually, it was a post that my sister made on Sparkpeople.  She had started the Hundred Pushups challenge and posted about it on her page.  So I decided to check it out.  You can find it at http://hundredpushups.com/.  This site has a routine that you do 3 times a week where you increase how many pushups you do each day.  The idea is that in 6 weeks you will be able to do 100 consecutive pushups.  The workouts are based on how you do on the test every two weeks.  It might take some people longer and some people shorter but in the end, you'll get to 100.

So I started.  Two days ago I did the test and got 17 good pushups.  Then yesterday, I did the first workout based on that test.  It went well.  It didn't take long and I just did it while watching TV.  But I did it and that's what matters.

Since I found the Hundred Pushups challenge I started looking around and found another cool site.  It's called 7 Weeks to Fitness and can be found at http://www.7weekstofitness.com/.  It's got several workout programs for pushups, situps, pullups, getting ripped, etc.  Next week, I'm going to start the jump rope routine.  Between pushups and the jump rope routine I think I'll have a good start.  Then, later in April, I'm going to start the Couch to 5K program.  I started this once before and I can't remember now why I stopped... But this is another program that starts at a beginner level of jogging/walking and gets to you where you can go 5 kilometers without stopping in 9 weeks.  That one is at http://www.coolrunning.com/.  The nice thing about each of these routines is that they take you from a beginner level up to a more advanced level.  After all, how many people do you know that can do 100 pushups without a break?

2 comments:

  1. Those are great programs Rick! I've done the hundred push-ups one and the couch to 5k and I was amazed every week as it got more and more difficult that I could still do it. Keep up the good work little brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work bro! I am on week 7 of the 6 week push up program but I am getting there and you can totally tell my looking at my arms!

    ReplyDelete